What is mental health?
Mental health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.
Mental health is not just the absence of mental illness. It is a positive state of mind that allows us to live happy, fulfilling lives.
There are many factors that contribute to mental health, including:
Why is mental health important?
Mental health is important because it affects every part of our lives. It affects how we think, feel, and behave. It also affects our relationships, our work, and our physical health.
When we have good mental health, we are able to:
- Cope with stress
- Build healthy relationships
- Enjoy life
- Be productive at work or school
- Contribute to our community
When we have poor mental health, we may experience:
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Difficulty concentrating
- Changes in sleep or appetite
- Thoughts of suicide
How to get help for mental health
If you are concerned about your mental health, there are many things you can do to get help.
- Talk to your doctor. Your doctor can assess your mental health and recommend treatment options.
- Talk to a therapist. A therapist can provide you with support and guidance as you work through your mental health challenges.
- Join a support group. Support groups can provide you with a safe place to share your experiences and connect with others who are going through similar challenges.
- Take care of yourself. Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly can all help improve your mental health.
Mental health resources
There are many resources available to help you improve your mental health. Here are a few: